CMMS Software Definition | What is CMMS Software?
CMMS Software Definition: CMMS stands for computerized maintenance management system. CMMS software is used to maintain equipment assets.
What is CMMS Software?
To answer the question “What is CMMS software?” requires multi-faceted response and CMMS software definition. The reason for this is that CMMS software performs several functions needed to extend the life of equipment assets.
- Work order management.
- Preventative maintenance management.
- Reliability and downtime analysis and reporting.
- Purchase order management.
- Inventory (spares) management.
Wikipedia’s CMMS software definition.
Managing Work Orders
What is a work order? A work order is a unit of work and is often derived from a work request of repair ticket. Work orders are manually or automatically created usually by a maintenance manager in response to breakdown, request for service, repair ticket or other equipment maintenance need. Additionally work orders are generated for preventative maintenance. The new work order is then emailed, printed or opened from a desktop computer, smartphone or tablet computer. Eventually the work is completed and the work order is closed with it’s corresponding labor hours and parts list.
Managing work orders without a CMMS is cumbersome and time-consuming.
Preventative Maintenance Management
To provide a CMMS software definition preventative maintenance must be included. What is preventative maintenance? Preventative maintenance is routine periodic maintenance performed on equipment at a specified interval. This interval could be calendar days or some other user-defined unit.the goal of preventative maintenance is to extend equipment life and improve equipment reliability.
Typically a preventative maintenance task list is displayed in a list format where work items are checked off as they are completed. These lists, like work orders are usually emailed, printed or simply displayed for the technician assigned to the work.
Equipment Downtime Tracking
What is downtime? Downtime generally refers to unexpected equipment failures. These failures interrupt the normal course of business and often lead to expensive repairs that could have been mitigated with preventative maintenance procedures.
What reasons are there for tracking downtime?
- Helps identify problem equipment.
- Guides preventative maintenance activities.
- Used to justify equipment replacement or rebuilding.
- Focuses maintenance resources on the greatest cost-saving efforts.
- Used to generate reliability analysis and OEE reports.
Managing Purchase Orders
What is a purchase order? A purchase order is a way of purchasing from a vendor. Purchase orders are the most common way of purchasing needed items by a commercial entity.
What are the benefits of using purchase orders? Purchase orders provide a listing of items and a standard way of purchasing. Furthermore purchase orders can later be tracked and reported on. Additionally matching paid invoices to purchase orders provides a way to “close the loop” on a purchase.
Purchase orders are contracts to buy in some cases. Each purchase order has a unique identifying number used for tracking. Not all CMMS software includes a purchasing module. This one does.
Inventory (spares) Management
What are spares? Spares are spare parts used to repair or maintain equipment. Spares may be normal consumable items such as filters and lubricants. Conversely spares may encompass unique and expensive parts required for equipment maintenance or replacement.
How can I benefits from inventory management software? Spare parts management is best performed with software for the following reasons:
- Ease of editing quantities and other characteristics.
- Linking to who, why and where the spare parts was used provides useful reporting on equipment costs.
- Though optional, integrating the purchasing module into the CMMS creates a system where spares quantities and unit cost are updated automatically when spare parts are received.
- Restocking is simplified.
- Physical inventory variance and cycle count audits are managed through the software. This reduces paperwork and provides acurate record keeping.
What Methods are Used to Install CMMS Software?
CMMS software is installed is five ways:
- Local desktop computer.
- Desktop computer with database on a server (client server).
- Cloud-based installation.
- Web server installation.
- Smartphone or tablet installation.
By having a diverse range of target devices the CMMS is available to anyone, anywhere. This encourages the use of the CMMS and the subsequent benefits.
What is CMMS Software? (this video answers this question)
Learn how to use create a simple work order.
What are CMMS Benefits?
Like any tool when used properly it can increase productivity. CMMS benefits that may be realized with proper use include:
- Ease of work issuance and tracking.
- Tracking employee efficiency.
- Automated issuance of preventative maintenance.
- Reduced equipment downtime.
- Simplified ordering of spares.
- Saving on inventory due to managing stock levels accurately.
- Ease of reporting on all parts of the maintenance operation.
Contact Us! We want to hear from you.
- Installer password?
- Free help documents and videos?
- Free personalized online demonstration?
- Any questions?
- Pricing for software?
- Formal quote or proposal?
- Free consultation?
- All suggestions and comments are welcome!
Screenshots – Report
The down time analysis module has the OLAP query-builder available. This works by simple drag and drop. OLAP (online analytical processing) create 2 or 3 dimensional data sets ridiculously easy. Depicted is a very simple downtime analysis query-builder scenario.
MaintSmart Software, Inc., 2455 Maple Leaf, North Bend, OR, 97459 U.S.A.
+1-541-751-0450 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org