Reliability Analysis in a CMMS Software Package
Reliability analysis is not found in any CMMS package. MaintSmart uses AMSAA (army material systems analysis activity) standard. This is reliability analysis method is used by the United States military. Reliability analysis in this CMMS software provides a few important KPIs. These KPIs (discussed below) are useful in determining how often an equipment item may fail, how well your current preventive maintenance program is working for specific equipment and what preventive maintenance task intervals should be used to prevent future equipment failures.
Reliability module addresses these questions:
- Are equipment failure rates getting better or worse?
- How long can an equipment item run before it fails?
- What tasks should I assign to prevent failure?
- What is the percentage of an equipment item failing during a specified time period?
- What steps should I take to achieve maximum, immediate improvement?
How Can Reliability Analysis Improve a Maintenance Management Program?
- Reliability analysis tells the maintenance manager if equipment is becoming more or less reliable during a specified time period. Does any other CMMS provide this valuable information? Answer: No.
- Enter a number of expected run time hours and the CMMS tells maintenance manager how any hours the equipment will run before it’s expected to fail.
- The CMMS uniquely provides a simple way for you to link failure causes to preventive maintenance tasks. The reliability module displays the MTBF (average time between failures) based on failure cause. Simply set the preventive task to an interval less than the MTBF to circumvent the future failures. This may all be accomplished without leaving the reliability screen.
- Enter a number of expected run time hours and the program tells you the probability of a failure during this time period.
- One way of gaining maximum benefit for your equipment maintenance operation would be to evaluate entire groups of equipment (work areas) at one time. Work areas are logical groupings of equipment assigned to one person for the purpose of preventive maintenance. Next select the 2 or 3 equipment items with the lowest MTBF (>0) and/or equipment items displaying an increasing failure rate.
Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF)
Mean time between failure (MTBF) represents the average time between unexpected equipment failures.
The reliability CMMS software module calculates MTBF based upon equipment failure data. This CMMS is the only CMMS software that includes a dedicated equipment failure tracking module with the base program. This down time collecting capability makes it possible for the program to provide reliability analysis, OEE and equipment failure statistics and charting.
Reliability Analysis and Failure Rate
Failure rate is another KPI obtained from the CMMS reliability module. Failure rate predicts the percentage chance of an equipment failure occurring during a specific time period. Additionally this reliability analysis method determines if the failure rate is increasing, decreasing or remaining static. This is valuable information and is present in a simple way in the CMMS. If failure rate is increasing this indicates that failures are occurring more often and corrective measures should be taken. A decreasing failure rate could indicate that whatever the maintenance team is doing is working and is a validation of their PM plans and efforts.
Use Reliability Analysis to Adjust PM Intervals
The reliability analysis module offers a powerful function that compares MTBF to preventive maintenance task intervals for tasks that are considered preventive to the failure cause(s) used to obtain MTBF. From the reliability analysis screen the preventive maintenance task intervals may be adjusted. By using this function the maintenance manager is assured that he is using real data to make important decisions regarding preventive maintenance.
Failure rate predicts the percentage chance of an equipment failure occurring during a specified time period and is rate of failure is improving (fewer failures) or not.
MTBF and Preventative Maintenance Task List
Preventive maintenance task intervals may be adjusted from the reliability analysis screen based upon MTBF.
What Are Benefits of Using the Reliability Module?
- Accurately access the performance of the preventive maintenance program.
- Locate trouble spots
- Optimize the preventive maintenance task intervals.
- Report on equipment reliability.
- Report on failure rate.
- Use real data to manage the maintenance of equipment.