Adding a maintenance technician is a common task for the maintenance planner or maintenance manager. The term maintenance technician is synonymous with:
- Maintenance mechanic
- Maintenance man
- Maintenance engineer
When adding a new technician to the CMMS database you need to consider the following.
- The technician will be the one work is issued to in the CMMS and represents a actual person by name (generally first/last name but other identifiers are also fine.
- The technician may optionally be linked to a login ID. If linked to a login ID then the maintenance manager can optionally set this login (user) to only see his/her own work orders and/or preventive maintenance tasks list. Alternatively, you may set the tech to see all work regardless of who it is assigned to.
- There is only one field required to create a maintenance technician. However, there is a lot of optional information including unlimited file attachments that may be linked to the tech.
- With only one required field (technician name) the CMMS is fast to configure for basic use with options for later embellishment .
- Each technician is created with a skills record. Skills are created and assigned by the maintenance manager.